We independently evaluate all recommended products and services. If you click on links we provide, we may receive compensation. Learn more.
Barclays Bank is the U.S. subsidiary of Barclays PLC. It is located in Wilmington, Del., but its parent company began in 1690 and is headquartered in the U.K. in London. In the U.S. Barclays Bank is an online-only bank that offers competitive interest rates on deposit accounts and co-branded credit cards that earn cash back and rewards.
- Pros & Cons
- Company Overview
Competitive interest rates
No monthly fees or minimum opening deposit requirements
Lucrative credit card rewards
No brick-and-mortar branches
No checking accounts
Personal loans by invitation only
- Year Founded 1690
- Official Website www.banking.barclaysus.com
- Banking Products Offered Savings, CDs, credit cards
- Customer Support Credit cards: 1-877-523-0478, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Banking: 1-888-710-8756, Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (EST)
- Competitive interest rates – Savers looking for a high rate of interest on their savings accounts and certificates of deposit (CDs) will find them with Barclays.
- No monthly fees or minimum opening deposit requirements – Barclays does not require a minimum deposit when opening a new savings account or CD. There are no monthly service charges either, so you don’t have to meet a minimum balance requirement.
- Lucrative credit card rewards – Barclays has numerous credit cards that offer rewards, cash back, and special financing promotions.
- No brick-and-mortar branches – If you have a question about your account, you cannot speak to someone in person. Instead, you’ll need to call Barclays or send it a message online or through its mobile app.
- No checking accounts – Consumers looking to have one bank for all of their needs should look elsewhere. Barclays does not offer checking accounts or many of the lending products you’d find at a traditional bank.
- Personal loans by invitation only – Although Barclays does some lending, you cannot apply for a personal loan unless the bank sends you an invitation.
Who Is Barclays Bank Best For?
Barclays Bank should appeal to most consumers who want an online bank account with competitive interest rates and no monthly fees. It may be a good fit if you:
- Are you not looking to replace your checking account
- Do not need to visit a branch
- Want competitive interest rates on your savings and CDs
- Need an account with no opening deposit requirement
- Don’t want to worry about a monthly service charge
- Want to earn rewards from your credit cards
What Does Barclays Bank Offer?
Barclays Bank is an online-only bank that focuses on savings and CD deposit accounts. It also has credit cards and personal loans (by invitation only), but it does not offer checking accounts or other lending products.
- Savings account
- Credit cards
叠补谤肠濒补测蝉’ high-yield savings account offers a competitive annual percentage yield (APY) of 4.35%, substantially higher than the national average (as of Sept. 14, 2023), though a bit less than the best online savings accounts currently going. It has no minimum deposit requirement and no monthly service fees. You can transfer funds online to and from other banks or set up direct deposit into your account.
|BARCLAYS BANK SAVINGS ACCOUNTS|
|ACCOUNT NAME||MIN OPENING DEPOSIT||MONTHLY FEE||APY|
|Barclays Online Savings||$0||$0||4.35%|
Barclays offers CDs ranging from one to five years. There are no monthly fees or minimum deposit amounts. At maturity, your CD will automatically renew at the current interest available. The bank will send you an email alert 30 days before your CD matures as a reminder. You have a 14-day grace period to withdraw or add funds without penalty.
If you withdraw your CD before maturity, there is a penalty. For CD terms under 24 months, the penalty is 90 days simple interest. For terms of 24 months or longer, the penalty is 180 days simple interest. When the penalty is greater than the interest earned, the remaining amount will be deducted from your principal.
|BARCLAYS BANK CD RATES|
Barclays partners with numerous travel and lifestyle brands to issue credit cards offering cash back, rewards, and special promotions.
Airline Credit Cards
- AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
- AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Business Mastercard
- Frontier Airlines World Mastercard
- Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard
- Hawaiian Airlines Business Mastercard
- JetBlue Card
- JetBlue Plus Card
- Emirates Skywards Premium World Elite Mastercard
- Emirates Skywards Rewards World Elite Mastercard
Hotel Credit Cards
- RCI Elite Rewards Mastercard
- Wyndham Rewards Earner Business Card
- Wyndham Rewards Earner Card
Travel Credit Cards
- Carnival World Mastercard
- Holland America Line Rewards Visa Card
- Priceline Rewards Visa Card
- Priceline VIP Rewards Visa Card
- Princess Cruises Rewards Visa Card
- AARP Travel Rewards Mastercard from Barclays
Lifestyle Credit Cards
- Barnes & Noble Mastercard
- Upromise Mastercard
- Gap Good Mastercard
- AARP Essential Rewards Mastercard from Barclays
- Athleta Rewards Mastercard
- Banana Republic Rewards Mastercard
- Navyist Rewards Mastercard
Other Financial Products Offered by Barclays Bank
In addition to savings accounts, CDs, and credit cards, Barclays Bank does not offer any other banking products besides personal loans. However, you cannot apply for a personal loan online. The bank is currently only taking applications from customers who are targeted for these offers.
Barclays Bank Customer Service
For credit cards, customer service is available at 1-877-523-0478, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You may also send a secure message online or through the mobile app. For bank accounts, you can reach the bank from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m.–8 p.m. EST at 1-888-710-8756.
There are two mobile apps available, depending upon the type of products you have with Barclays Bank—bank accounts versus credit cards. The deposit mobile app is available for iOS and Android devices. A mobile app for credit cards is also available for iOS and Android devices.
How to Bank With Barclays Bank
As an online bank, the best way to open an account or access your accounts are online or through the bank’s mobile app. Potential customers may find paper applications or links to apply through the co-branded partners of Barclays. For example, you may receive an application for the AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard while on an American Airlines flight.
Deposits into your savings account or CD can be made through online transfers from linked banks, remote deposits from the mobile app, or direct deposit. The app also allows you to view history, initiate transactions, and contact customer service.
Barclays Bank is an appealing online bank to earn interest on your savings. It offers competitive interest rates without monthly fees or minimum balance requirements. The bank is best as a complement to your existing bank because Barclays does not offer checking accounts, loans, or other services you’d find at a full-service bank. The credit cards offered by Barclays can be a good fit for your wallet if its travel and lifestyle partners are appealing to you. A majority of its credit cards offer the ability to earn cash back or rewards on your daily purchases.
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of banks. We collected more than 20 data points across more than 80 banks—including products available, interest rates, fees, and accessibility—to ensure that our content helps users make the right decision for their savings and banking needs.