We independently evaluate all recommended products and services. If you click on links we provide, we may receive compensation. Learn more.
Fifth Third Bank—a name that reflects the merger of two institutions, the Fifth National Bank and the Third National Bank—is headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio. Serving both individual and commercial clients, it has a strong bricks-and-mortar presence in 11 states in the Midwest and Southeast, including Fla., Ga, Ill., Ind., Ky, Mich., N.C., S.C., Ohio, Tenn., W.Va. This comprehensive review can help you determine if this large regional bank is the right choice for your financial needs.
- Pros & Cons
- Company Overview
More than 50,000 free-fee ATMs
No minimum deposit to open a checking or savings account
No minimum balances to earn APY
High monthly maintenance fees
High balance requirements to waive monthly fees
Low APY on interest-bearing accounts
- Year Founded 1858
- Official Website www.53.com
- Banking Products Offered Savings, checking, CDs, MMA, credit cards
- Customer Service Phone line: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (EST); Saturday, 8 a.m to 4 p.m (EST): 1-800-972-3030. Account access online or via app 24/7.
- More than 50,000 fee-free ATMs: Fifth Third Bank customers have access to nearly 1,100 branches within the bank’s geographical footprint of 11 states, and have even more ATMs at their disposal all across the country. The bank belongs to the Allpoint, Presto, and 7-Eleven ATM networks. This means that if you use your Fifth Third Bank debit card at any of these ATMs within the network, you will pay no transaction fees.
- No minimum deposit to open a checking or savings account: Fifth Third Bank accepts accounts of any size. You are required to fund the account within 45 days of opening it, however.
- No minimum balances to earn APY: Interest-bearing accounts pay an annual percentage yield no matter how little you have in your account—even if it’s only one cent.
- High monthly maintenance fees: Nearly all of Fifth Third Bank’s accounts come with monthly maintenance fees, and they're somewhat steeper than average for consumer accounts.?Checking account fees range from $0 per month to $25 per month, while all savings accounts have a $5 per month fee.
- Low APY on interest-bearing accounts: While the APY offer depends on your location, most Fifth Third Bank accounts offer an APY of 0.01%, lower than other banks offer.
Who Is Fifth Third Bank Best for?
Fifth Third Bank appeals to fairly well-heeled clients in its 11-state region who want to bank with a large, well-established bricks-and-mortar institution. It’ll best fit you if you:
- Reside in FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MI, NC, SC, OH, TN, or WV
- Want to have multiple accounts at the same bank
- Love earning extra money: bonuses, interest even on small balances, and cashback with a debit card
- Would like the ease and convenience of a contactless debit card
What Does Fifth Third Bank Offer?
Fifth Third Bank carries pretty much the full array of deposit accounts and services to meet the needs of consumers. These include:
- Savings accounts
- Checking accounts
- Money market account
- Certificates of deposit
- Credit cards
Fifth Third Momentum Savings Account
As an introductory savings vehicle, the Fifth Third Momentum Savings Account has a lot to offer. You can open the account with no minimum deposit, although you will need to fund it within 45 days. The APY on this account is low: only 0.01% for all balances. There is a $5 monthly service charge, but there are several other ways to avoid the charge:
- Have a Fifth Third Checking Account or Money Market Account
- Maintain an average monthly balance of $500 or more
- Be an account holder under the age of 18
- Enroll in Fifth Third Military Banking
|Balance||Standard APY||Relationship APY|
When you pair a Fifth Third Relationship Savings Account with a checking account, you can automatically transfer money from checking to savings.
Fifth Third Express Banking
While not exactly a checking account, Fifth Third Express Banking provides customers an account with no maintenance fee that offers many of the benefits of a checking account: You can cash checks and make deposits at Fifth Third Bank branches and deposit checks via the mobile app. However, the account does not allow ATM deposits or check-writing.
While there are no monthly maintenance fees with this account, the services you use each have an associated fee, including in-person check cashing/deposits and mobile deposits. However, these fees are reduced based on the number of transactions you make per month.
The fees associated with the debit card and basic services like check cashing and deposits mean that many customers will pay more in monthly service fees using the Fifth Third Express Banking than they would with a more traditional checking account.
Fifth Third Momentum Checking
This non-interest bearing basic checking account has a lot to recommend it:
- A Fifth Third Bank contactless debit card with cashback rewards
- Mobile banking, which includes mobile deposit and account alerts
- Access to online bill pay
There is no monthly maintenance fee and no minimum deposit to open the account.
Fifth Third Preferred Checking
This account is Fifth Third Bank’s high-yield checking option. There is a monthly maintenance fee of $25, which can only be waived if your deposit and investment accounts have a combined total balance of $100,000 at any point during the month.
It’s also important to note that the APY for this checking account is lower than the rates you can find at other banks, particularly online banks.
Money Market Account
Fifth Third Relationship Money Market Savings Account
Like Fifth Third’s Relationship Savings, the Relationship Money Market Savings Account is set up to encourage customers to have multiple accounts within the bank. There are two different APYs depending on whether you only have a Money Market account with Fifth Third, or you also have a relationship with the bank—i.e., a checking or savings account as well.
|Balance||Standard APY||Relationship APY|
Though this is called a Money Market Savings Account, you have the ability to write checks and pay bills from it, as well as conduct your business via mobile banking. This account has a $5 per month maintenance fee, which is waived for any of the following:
- Have a Fifth Third checking account
- Maintain an average monthly balance of $500
- Are under the age of 18
- Are enrolled in Fifth Third Military Banking
Fifth Third Bank offers customers a number of CD options, with a range of terms and rates. Fifth Third offers several CDs with a minimum deposit as low as $500.
The featured CDs have higher rates, but require a higher minimum deposit of $5,000.
|Featured CD Rates|
|12 Month CD Promo||2.50%||$5,000|
Standard CD rates vary based on their term length.
|Standard CD Rates|
|7 to 89 Day CD||0.01%||$5,000|
|3 to 6 Month CD||0.01%||$500|
|4 Months CD||4.80%||$5,000|
|6 to 12 Month CD||0.01%||$500|
|12 Months CD||4.70%||$5,000|
|8 Months CD||5.00%||$5,000|
|12 to 24 Month CD||0.01%||$500|
|24 to 36 Month CD||0.01%||$500|
|36 to 48 Month CD||0.01%||$500|
|48 to 84 Month CD||0.01%||$500|
These rates can vary by geographical location, and the rates listed here are those offered by the North Carolina Fifth Third Bank affiliates as of November 16, 2023.
Fifth Third Bank offers four different credit cards (all MasterCards) to meet the needs of its customers, including two cashback rewards cards, a no-fee card, and a secured credit card:
- Fifth Third Cash/Back Card: This rewards card offers a flat 1.67% cashback on all purchases. There is no annual fee.
- Fifth Third Preferred Cash/Back Card: This Preferred version offers a flat 2% cashback on all purchases. There is no annual fee.
- Truly Simple Credit Card: This no-fee card offers a 0% introductory APR for purchases made and balances transferred during the promotional period. There is also no penalty APR for missed payments.
- Secured Card: Customers who are working to build or rebuild their credit can use the Fifth Third Secured Card. You will place a $300 refundable deposit into your Fifth Third Relationship Savings Account as backing for your card charges. There is a $24 annual fee.
Other Financial Products Offered by Fifth Third Bank
Fifth Third Bank is an excellent option for those who seek financing or investment services. It also offers:
- Car loans
- Purchase mortgages
- Home equity loans
- Home equity lines of credit (HELOCs)
- Managed investment portfolios
- Financial advisors
- Business loans
Fifth Third Bank Customer Service
You can reach live customer service agents via phone at 1-800-972-3030 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST Monday through Friday, and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m EST on Saturdays.
The mobile app allows you to handle your banking business, including mobile deposit, money transfers, and bill pay, 24/7. With over 280,000 ratings, the app boasts a 4.7-star rating on the App Store and is ranked #91 in Finance apps as of October 2022. It is also available on Google Play and has a similarly strong score.
Fifth Third ranks third in banking satisfaction J.D. Power’s 2022 U.S. Banking Mobile App Satisfaction survey, which compares the mobile apps of 11 regional banks. That’s just slightly above the industry average. The bank ranked ninth in overall customer satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2022 Retail Banking Satisfaction Study when compared against other banks in the Southeast region of the United States.
In trying to find accurate information about the rates offered, I called the customer service line to request the rate sheet for various accounts, per the website’s instructions. The customer service agent did not seem to know what I was requesting and told me repeatedly that Fifth Third does not provide a rate sheet, despite what the website says. This was a somewhat frustrating experience.
How to Bank With Fifth Third Bank
Customers in the 11 states served by Fifth Third Bank can easily open an account online or in person at one of the nearly 1,100 available branches. Once you have opened an account, you can make deposits through online transfers from external accounts, mobile check deposit, wire transfer, check deposits by mail, at the ATM (except for Express Banking customers), or in person at a Fifth Third Bank branch.
Fifth Third Bank offers a great deal of convenience for customers within their geographic footprint, enhanced by the fee-free ATM network nationwide. The number of products and services provided, as well as the savings and other incentives Fifth Third offers to customers with multiple accounts, means this can be a great one-stop-shop for all of your banking and financial activities. However, given the high monthly maintenance fees and low APYs, customers may find that their checking accounts cost more and their interest-bearing accounts pay less than competitors'. Although it is possible to eliminate monthly maintenance fees, Fifth Third sets more onerous requirements for waiving these fees than other banks do. If you only need a few services or the most basic of accounts, you may want to bank elsewhere.
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of banks. We collected over 20 data points across more than 80 banks including products available, interest rates, fees, and accessibility to ensure that our content helps users make the right decision for their savings and banking needs.